|April 2, 2011||to||April 17, 2011|
* SYDNEY Tweet
- Saturday 2 April to Sunday 17 April, 2011.
Manly’s 2011 Heritage Festival events include:
· a guided walk around some of Manly Cemetery’s unique grave sites;
· a talk on the amazing survival story of the Manly ferry MV Baragoola;
· a ‘Hymn-a-Thon’ at Manly Congregational Church (Manly’s oldest), featuring its 1914 pipe organ;
· a presentation by the Manly, Warringah & Pittwater Historical Society on Edward Combes (1830-1895), colonial artist, politician, surveyor and pastoralist;
· an exhibition at the Manly Art Gallery & Museum, titled ‘Caring for Country Kids in Manly’, on the unique history and service provided by Royal Far West Society,
- and much, much more…
MV Baragoola was launched in 1922, the last of six very similar sister ships that came to typify the classic Manly ferry for over eighty years. The ferry is being restored to its former glory by volunteers.
Manly Art Gallery & Museum, West Esplanade Reserve, on Sunday 10 April from 3.00pm, is where to hear Baragoola’s amazing history and survival story. Admission is free but bookings are essential. Phone (02) 9976 1595 or (02) 9976 1640.
For a superb high resolution picture of MV Baragoola.
The Manly Cemetery Tour will take place on Wednesday, 6 April from 2.00pm. Join an informative and entertaining guided walk around some of Manly Cemetery’s unique grave sites, including the final resting places of many of our early settlers and persons of historical interest. Bookings are essential. Call 9976 1595 (Wednesdays).
Take a walk through the former School of Artillery complex at North Head, guided by the specialist heritage architect Peter McLaren. Sunday 17 April, 10.30am – 12 noon. Bookings are essential on 9976 1590 (weekdays).
The North Head walk will demonstrate how the Nursery run by the North Head Sanctuary Foundation is actively contributing to the conservation of the natural heritage by not only growing plants from seed but also planting them out to provide habitat for birds and bandicoots.
To take part in the walk, you need only to turn up on the day. Details are at the North Head Sanctuary Foundation website
or phone 9976 1590 (weekdays).
For details on all the 2011 Heritage Festival activities held in the Manly area, visit Manly Council’s website
- All Events