|September 26, 2011||to||October 10, 2011|
* MELBOURNE Tweet
School holiday activities in Melbourne from 26 September 2011. Whats on for kids to do – art, shows, drummings, crafts, exhibitions and more
- School holiday fun from 26 September 2011
- Various localities
Victorian Spring School Holidays 2011 will begin 26 September. Entertain the kids with lots to do. Huge range of holiday activities for children of all ages,
The Arts Centre Kids Program
Bollywood Workshop – Discover the music and dance of Bollywood. 28 Sep – 2 Oct 2011.
Build a Book Workshop – In our bookmaking workshops kids will do just that – fold the pages, write a story and create the illustrations for their very own books. 28 Sep – 2 Oct 2011.
Fallen Angels – Trapped in the flightless world of human existence and hopelessly tempted by earthly distraction these mischievous angels try to regain their lost place in Nirvana. Their absurd attempts are beautifully innocent and tragically funny. 28 Sep – 2 Oct 2011.
The Living Library – True stories from real people. 28 Sep – 2 Oct 2011.
Still Awake Still! – An adventurous music theatre show with one grand piano, three mischievous musicians and a most peculiar dream! 28 Sep – 2 Oct 2011.
Taiko Drumming Workshop – Learn about Japan’s history and vibrant culture though its unique music and rhythms. 28 Sep – 2 Oct 2011.
Arts, Crafts & Mixed
ArtPlay – A huge variety of hands-on activities to keep kids inspired during school holidays.
Blanc Canvas Studios – provides instructional and entertaining lessons for children aged 4 years and over, 26 September -7 October 2011.
Crayola Creative Hub – Kids can unleash their creativity these school holidays with the Crayola Creative Hub at Harbour Town Shopping Centre in Docklands. 3-9 October 2011.
Gasworks – The Gasworks Children’s Holiday Program runs every school holidays for children aged 3 to 14.
GlazeIt Studio – Pottery Painting at GlazeIt Studio is a unique, fun and creative activity for all ages and occasions, which involves decorating ready-to-paint ceramics into beautiful and usable pottery pieces.
The Institute of Creative Learning – September – October School Holidays
- The Super Sleuth Series – The Detectives from TICL need your help to solve the mystery. Learn what skills are needed to be a special assistant detective, discover the clues, analyse the evidence and piece the puzzle together.
- The Elements Series – Explore the elements through our science based shows;
Papermaking for kids – Learn the art of making paper from recycled papers. Have fun adding flower petals, wood shavings or confetti and using other decorative techniques. 27-28 September 2011.
Explore-a-saurus – Discover a world of dinosaurs at Scienceworks as you explore the science of palaeontology.
Perception Deception – Is your ‘reality’ different from that of those around you?
Star Voyager: Exploring Space on Screen – Journey through the fact and fiction of space exploration from Fritz Lang to the moon landing, to Star Trek and Avatar.
Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs – The Tutankhamun exhibition comes to Australia for the first time. Tickets now on sale.
Heide Museum of Modern Art
- Kids & Families – Heide offers a range of activities for kids and families including artist-led workshops that draw on Heide’s exhibitions, history and gardens.
- School Holiday Activities – These hands-on activities, guided by art educators, provide children with opportunities to engage with contemporary artists and art practices. Children are shown a variety of art making techniques and encouraged to use their imagination in activities appropriate to their age group.
NGV Kids Space – NGV Kids Space at NGV International is the second dedicated gallery designed for children of up to 8 years old and their families. Featuring works from NGV collections and exhibitions, children and families can have fun together as they discover art, explore multimedia and hands-on activities while sharing new ideas.
NGV Schools Programs – NGV Schools Programs are educational sessions for students and teachers in the Gallery that are led by an Educator. We advise groups (led or self-staffed) to book well in advance to reduce waiting times and ensure access.
- Immigration Museum – Spring School Holiday Program – Customs Detective.
- Melbourne Museum – Spring School Holiday Program – Mysteries of the Nile: Rediscovery of ancient Egypt
- Scienceworks – Spring School Holiday Program – Sense-ational Science
National Wool Museum
- Hidden Treasures – until 30 October 2011
State Library of Victoria – School Holiday Programs
Nature and Wildlife
Collingwood Children’s Farm – Open every day of the year.
Fitzroy Gardens – Visit Cook’s Cottage.
Melbourne Aquarium – Wander through glass tunnels and see thousands of creatures, including sharks and stingrays, that live in the Southern Ocean.
Phillip Island – See the penguins.
Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne – Explore 363 hectares of untouched heathlands, wetlands and woodlands, and see bird and animal life, including several rare and endangered species.
Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne – Children’s Garden
Urban Penguins – Take a cruise on the Penguin Express and see little penguins just 5 kilometres from Melbourne’s city centre.
Out and About
A Maze’N Things
Federation Square – Spring School Holiday Program – With a little planning a day out in the city doesn’t have to be expensive. Throughout the school holidays Fed Square has a jam-packed program of free and affordable activities to delight visitors of all ages.
Giant Sky Wheel – Geelong Waterfront
Luna Park – Ride all day or get your skates on and push, glide or swing-roll into Luna Freeze.
Puffing Billy – Get on board Puffing Billy.
Queen Victoria Market – School Holidays are bigger at Queen Victoria Market! Let the kids have some fun at one of the most exciting and colourful destinations in Melbourne with a range of FREE activities for kids to enjoy in a secure and safe environment!
Sovereign Hill – Pan for gold or chat with the storekeepers and miners at Sovereign Hill.
SkyHigh – Enjoy the stunning views, an exquisite English garden, Adventurous SkyHigh Maze and links to trail walks in the Dandenong Ranges National Park.
Steam Train – All aboard for family fun.
Visit Melbourne – There is so much to see and do in Melbourne and with V/Line you can enjoy discounted entry at some of the best attractions.
Visit regional Victoria – There’s something for everyone to enjoy in regional Victoria. Check out the special events and some of our favourite attractions.
- Animal Farm – Looking to keep the family entertained during the upcoming September school holidays? Come down to Harbour Town Shopping Centre for a unique and FREE Animal Farm experience. Open every day during the school holidays, providing free entertainment for the kids. 24 September – 8 October 2011.
- September Starlight Skate – Enjoy Starlight Skate these school holidays at Medibank Icehouse. You can Ice Skate under the stars with the stars, and a donation from each family ticket will go the Starlight foundation. 24 September-9 October 2011.
Wonderland Fun Park – Wonderland Fun Park presents the amazing and hilarious CHILDREN’S FESTIVAL “LET’S PLAY” featuring The Incredibubble Show (as seen on Australia’s Got Talent), Lindi Jane and Snap Crocodilous (from The Kakadu Club), magic shows, fairy and pirate stories, and special guests Shrek’s Princess Fiona & Swap Fairy. 24 September-9 October 2011.
Melbourne Rock School - Four days of fully supervised and facilitated learning, playing and creating. 10am to 4pm Monday 26 September to Thursday 29 September. Performance Friday 30 September @ 8pm.
- Holiday Program – Our MUSICAL THEATRE holiday intensive will give you a chance to sing your heart out with other musical loving teens! 3-7 October.
- One Day – A performance based on the stories and perfomed by of St Martins youngest members. Sept 30 and Oct 1 in the Randall
Sports and Active
Ice Skating – Icehouse offers two Olympic-sized rinks, roving entertainers during the holidays, live DJ’d skating sessions for late afternoon/early evening for older kids and teens, a tiny tots area for the non-skaters, plus lessons.
Skateboarding at Riverslide Skate Park – in the Alexandra Gardens, is a five-minute skate from Flinders Street Railway Station.
Sport Camp, AllSportz – Suited to children between 2-10 years old, our unique school holiday program will immerse every child in to a world of sports, fun and excitement.
Tandivale Equestrian Centre – School holiday program 9:00am – 4:00pm each day of the September school holidays for children aged 6 and up, no riding experience is required. $110 @ day with a discount for siblings and multiple days booked.
Visit your local council website for pools and activities in your area.Share
- All Events